Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Khristmas in Korea

"Will they celebrate Christmas in Korea?" I thought to myself before coming out here. "It's a Buddhist culture, will it be recognized? Will I see the many lights that I've become so accustomed to over the years?"

With a long history of Buddhism in Korea, it's clear Christmas will never be the same as it is back home. With the growing number of Christians though, it's also clear that this holiday is generating a lot more attention then it used to. A Buddisht household will have no celebration or even acknowledgement of the holiday, as the birth of christ doesn't mean anything to them. The others would though.

With the weeks leading up to the big day, it's hardly been a typical Christmas. Rare lights (often blue) will scatter the buildings that I see, but no real sign that my favourite holiday is on the horizon. Conversations with the Korean teachers at my school and others have told me that while people celebrate it, it's not overly big here. With the Korean culture mimicking Western styles and cultures, it's obvious that it has grown in popularity over the years, but no where near what I am used to. It is a holiday that is gernerally celebrated with friends and not a family gathering type day. The common christmas present is money which is also the main gift for New Years (the biggest holiday for Koreans). Maybe being so close in date just overshadows christmas ?

Christmas food in Korea is pretty interesting and nothing like back home. You won't find many traditional foods but loads of kimchi, noodles, hot peppers, and bean paste. Our plan on the 25th is to check out a Western style christmas buffet at one of the hotels or bars in downtown seoul. Apparently one of the few places for foreigners to find some familiar grub during the festive season. A christmas without family I will have to bear, but the absense of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy is something I cannot do. With the presents that have been sent from home that are waiting to be unwrapped on the 25th, I'm hoping to salvage this holiday as best I can. Merry Khristmas!

No comments: