Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Year of Teaching in South Korea

Well it has been one year now since I arrived at Incheon Airport in Seoul about to embark on one of the most interesting, challenging and fun 12 months of my life. I knew very little about this country, thinking that it will still a war torn third world country only beginning to rebuild. I was amazed at how developed, modern and westernized it was upon arriving. Seeing a McDonalds a not far away was comforting, yet a little disappointing. I now realize that it will be a constant where ever I visit in this day and age.


My first weeks adjusting to the lifestyle, foreign culture, new job and jetlag was a little difficult but I seemed to quickly grow accustom to these things as well as the food, people and language barrier. Having 8 other foreign teachers in my school helped by having them offer their experience and tips as well was just nice having people there to relate to. It was not long before we all became good friends and I felt like I had a second family (this is one thing for people considering teaching abroad, as teachers at schools with no other foreigners can feel pretty isolated). Shortly after I had found a soccer team to play on and I was off running. With so much to see and do in this country the weeks were flying by with something going on every weekend. There really is something for everyone here from clubs, teams and activities to museums, scenery, and travel destinations. There is a very large ex-pat(foreigners) community in Korea so there are always things being organized to appeal to them. There are many foreign owned bars and restaurants although I personally have really enjoyed Korean food here. Not only is it good but cheap and a lot healthier than back in Canada. Going out for meals is really common as there isn't high mark ups that you see back home and NO TIPPING! (actually considered an insult as it implies that they don't make enough).


Throughout my year I have experience all of the good things here but also all the bad things and I wanted to compile a list of the pros and cons for people thinking of coming to teach in South Korea. All I can say is that if your the kind of person who can look past some of the downfalls and dont mind being away from friends and family for a year, it is one experience you'll never forget because I know I certainly won't.


PROS:
- Highest pay amongst countries you can teach English
- Flight and Housing paid for
- Large foreigner community
- Lots of activities, clubs, organizations to join
- Great life experience
- Food is amazing and cheap if you don't mind trying new things
- Great transportation system
- Lot's of places to travel and see (beaches, palaces, mountains, etc.)

CONS:
- Away from home for a year
- Don't speak the language and can find it difficult at times
- Constantly being stared at
- Apartments are generally very small
- Jobs can be long hours and lots of work if you find the wrong one
- Can be lonely if your away from Seoul with no other foreign teachers.
- Culture barrier sometimes hard to get used to

No comments: